My Bloody Valentine, Lower Dens, Silversun Pickups and more
So the big news this week is that the My Bloody Valentine reissues are finally going to get released. Good for them that it's finally getting done. Also good for Kevin Shields that he's finally working on some new material. It's only been 20 years.
The other link about Rodney on the Roq is kinda random. My friend Brian asked me if he was still on the air so I looked him up and was happy that he's still being broadcasted on KROQ in Los Angeles. His show is where I heard a lot of bands for the first time on the radio. Granted I was getting most of my new music from friends, reading NME, and watching this public access show called Request Video. But as Brian pointed out those were simpler times. You'd read about bands in the NME, then Rodney would play them, then you'd make the hour long drive out to some dingy record store in LA to buy the import single for 10 bucks. That's right, TEN bucks for three or four songs.
Don't get me started on how pissed I was when bands started doing that CD1/CD2 bullshit. There are a lot of people that long for the good ol' days of record collecting, but I can't stand it. Going to a good record store and casually walking around and picking up stuff is fun every once in a while. But when we were kids we were obsessive about it. And we poured tons of money into it. So I'm glad that technology has brought us to this point where we can access way more music for less. I think it opens it up to more people. More people who can't spend 20 bucks on two CD's with 6 songs each. Oh yeah, and since it's a double single, the main track is going to be on both CD's. Plus that main track is already on the album anyway. So you're really only buying four bsides for 20 bucks. And if they just phoned it in by throwing on some bullshit remixes then fuck them. God I love music but it's so frustrating.
- "Lower Dens" are touring, I'm digging this track right now, "Hospice Gates". Give it a listen!
- Stereolab's Laetitia Sadier Announces Solo Album
- Beatles' 'Yellow Submarine' Restored, To Get Limited Theatrical Release Next Month
- Kevin Shields: 'Sony hid My Bloody Valentine tapes'
- Stream the new Silversun Pickups album right now over at MTV
- Death Cab For Cutie announces summer tour dates
- Video: Andrew Bird on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- FYI, Rodney on the Roq is still on the air and you can find a playlist (with soundcloud links) on KROQ's site.
- Video: Damon Albarn and St. Vincent on Later… with Jools Holland
- My Bloody Valentine - Loveless: exclusive stream of two albums
- Listen to an Unreleased My Bloody Valentine Track, Check Out What the Reissues Look Like
- Video: Here We Go Magic – “How Do I Know”
- John Peel's record collection starts to hits the web Tuesday (just lists of records, not audio, BOOOOO)
- Check Out Animal Collective, Hot Chip In The Simpsons - Stereogum
- St. Vincent & tUnE-yArDs In Conversation (This is as pleasant as it sounds like it would be)
- My Bloody Valentine releases possible photographic evidence of alleged reissues
- Thom Yorke & Nigel Godrich debut new songs in Atoms For Peace DJ Set
- My Bloody Valentine’s Debbie Googe joins Primal Scream
- Check Out: School of Seven Bells – “Kiss Them For Me” (Siouxsie and the Banshees Cover)
- Pitchfork asks, "Is This a New Mixtape From the Avalanches?"